Home Owners/Renters  Insurance
  • Overview
  • Tell Me More
  • FAQs
  • Contacts

It's Your Sanctuary- How Are You Safeguarding It?

"Home." Doesn't it feel good to say the word aloud?

That's because whether you own or rent, your home is the center of your life … your protected oasis … and the guardian of the people and memories you hold dearest.

Of course, despite your best efforts, things happen beyond your control. But don't you deserve the right to expect that if something does occur—perhaps a fire, a storm, or a break-in—things will be put right correctly, quickly, and affordably? That way you and your loved ones can restore your serenity and get your lives back to normal as soon as possible.

Duke believes that your well-being is our promise. That's why we have partnered with Mercer Voluntary Benefits to offer colleagues like you valuable homeowners and renters insurance. This special benefit empowers you to take advantage of the company's group buying power to establish discounts just for Duke's employees.

Why not take a few minutes to receive a no-obligation quote? You may discover you can get a better value than you have now.

Why Should I Buy Homeowners/Renters Insurance from the Home Insurance Benefit Program?

House? Condo? Mobile home? Apartment? No matter which type of dwelling you live in, you can take advantage of the Home Insurance Benefit Program employee discounts*. When you request a quote, you may discover that you can save hundreds of dollars over what you pay now. Here are five more reasons why the program may be best for you:

  1. Insurance for you—not the world. Your home is as unique as you are—why should you settle for someone else's insurance? Duke has partnered with Mercer Voluntary Benefits to craft a homeowners/renters program designed just for employees like you. That means your unique needs are addressed the way no off-the-rack insurance program can.
  2. Apply at any time—There is no waiting period for the Home Insurance Benefit Program**. You can apply at any time during the year, regardless of how long you've been at Duke or when you started work.
  3. Switch at any time—If you get a better quote from the Home Insurance Benefit Program, you can start saving with a policy that’s effective as soon as the next day.
  4. You can take it with you—Although this program is an advantage of your being a Duke employee, you can continue the policy without interruption, subject to policy terms and conditions, if you ever leave the company.
  5. Talk with a real person—Our streamlined online process will let you know within minutes what discounts and other savings you qualify for. But if you have questions, you can get answers from a licensed customer service representative based in the U.S., with one FREE phone call: 1-800-522-9670 from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EST/EDT.

*Employee discounts are not available from all carriers and only available to those who qualify. Coverages, discounts and billing options are subject to state availability, individual qualifications, and/or the insuring company’s underwriting guidelines. Individual savings may vary and are not guaranteed.

**Home insurance is not available in FL through the carriers offered in this program and may not be part of MetLife Auto & Home’s benefit offering in MA.

Each carrier operates independently and is not responsible for the others' financial obligations.

MetLife Disclaimer:
MetLife Auto & Home is a brand of Metropolitan Property and Casualty Insurance Company and its affiliates: Economy Preferred Insurance Company, Metropolitan Casualty Insurance Company, Metropolitan Direct Property and Casualty Insurance Company, Metropolitan General Insurance Company, Metropolitan Group Property and Casualty Insurance Company, and Metropolitan Lloyds Insurance Company of Texas, all with administrative home offices in Warwick, RI. Coverage, rates, and discounts are available in most states to those who qualify. Met P&C®, MetCasSM, and MetGenSM, are licensed in Minnesota. ©2016 MetLife Auto & Home.

Travelers disclaimer:
Insurance is underwritten by The Travelers Indemnity Company or one of its property casualty affiliates, One Tower Square, Hartford, CT 06183. In CA: Insurance is underwritten by Travelers Commercial Insurance Company, One Tower Square, Hartford, CT 06183, Certificate of Authority #6519 or Travelers Property Casualty Insurance Company, One Tower Square, Hartford, CT 06183, Certificate of Authority # 6521, State of Domicile: Connecticut. In FL: Homeowners insurance is not currently offered for new business. In TX: Auto insurance is offered by Travelers Texas MGA, Inc. and underwritten by Consumers County Mutual Insurance Company (CCM). CCM is not a Travelers company. Coverages, discounts, special program rates or savings, billing options, and other features are subject to availability and individual eligibility. Not all features available in all areas. © 2016 The Travelers Indemnity Company. All rights reserved. Travelers and the Travelers Umbrella logo are registered trademarks of The Travelers Indemnity Company in the U.S. and other countries.

As an eligible employee, you can apply for affordable and convenient home insurance through the Duke Voluntary Benefits Program.

The homeowners or renters insurance through this program may not be the best for everyone. Therefore, issuance of coverage through this program is not a guaranteed coverage and you may not qualify based on state regulations, whether you live in areas prone to severe weather, as permitted by law and the applicable underwriting guidelines, the age of your home, types of coverage you need, the possessions that need to be insured, prior losses, and other underwriting guidelines.
Simply make a FREE call to one of our specially-trained insurance counselors. Call 1-800-552-9670 Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EST/EDT.
If you have a policy from Travelers, call (800) 252-4633.
If you have a policy from MetLife Auto & Home®, call (800) 854-6011.
Always call as soon as possible. Find out whether you're covered for this loss. Even if the loss appears minor, it is important that you contact your insurance company.
To get a free, no-obligation quote, call our service center at  1-800-552-9670 Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EST/EDT.

You need enough insurance to cover the following:

The structure of your home
You need enough insurance to cover the cost of rebuilding your home at current construction costs. Don't include the cost of the land. And don't base your rebuilding costs on the price you paid for your home. The cost of rebuilding could be more or less than the price you paid or could sell it for today.

Some banks may require you to buy homeowners insurance to cover the amount of your mortgage. There is often no correlation between the amount of mortgage and the cost to rebuild your home. You should base your coverage amount on the cost to rebuild your structure. Generally the insurer will never pay more than the cost to rebuild regardless of the amount of the mortgage. Paying for more coverage than you need is a waste of your income. If the mortgage amount is greater than the cost to rebuild your home, consider purchasing the guaranteed replacement cost options, which will satisfy most lenders. Also keep in mind replacement costs and inflation when choosing your coverage amount.

Your personal possessions
Most homeowners insurance policies provide coverage for your personal possessions for approximately 50% to 70% of the amount of insurance you have on the structure or "dwelling" of your home. See respective policy for restrictions.

To determine if this is enough coverage, you need to conduct a home inventory. This is a detailed list of everything you own and information related to the cost to replace these items if they were stolen or destroyed by a disaster such as a fire. Start by making a list of your possessions, describing each item and noting where you bought it and its make and model. Clip to your list any sales receipts, purchase contracts, and appraisals you have. For clothing, count the items you own by category — pants, coats, shoes, for example — making notes about those that are especially valuable. For major appliance and electronic equipment, record their serial numbers usually found on the back or bottom.

Additional living expenses
Coverage for additional living expenses differs from company to company. Many policies provide coverage for about 20% of the insurance on your house. See respective policy for restrictions. To determine if this is enough, you can estimate how long it would take you to rebuild your home in the case of total loss and how much your alternative living arrangements will cost. Some companies will even sell you a policy that provides you with an unlimited amount of loss of use coverage, for a limited amount of time. In most cases, you can increase this coverage for an additional premium.

Your liability to others
Liability limits generally start at about $100,000. However, experts recommend that you purchase at least $300,000 worth of protection. Some people feel more comfortable with even more coverage. You can purchase an umbrella or excess liability policy, which provides broader coverage (including claims against you for libel and slander), as well as higher liability limits.

The most convenient way is payroll deduction. However, you also can elect to pay by check, or add it to your mortgage or escrow payment.


When you leave or retire from Duke, you can continue your Travelers auto coverage without interruption. Although payroll deduction will no longer be available if you retire or leave your company, you can opt for checking account deduction, home billing or other payment options. Retirees and departing employees are still eligible for group rates.

MetLife Auto & Home®

When you leave or retire from Duke, you can continue your MetLife Auto & Home® coverage without interruption, subject to applicable law and underwriting guidelines. Retirees are still eligible for group rates, but other departing employees are not. Although payroll deduction will no longer be available if you retire or leave your company, you can opt for bank account deduction or home billing. Portability is available in all states to those who leave their companies, except for Michigan

Coverage for the structure of your home
This part of your policy pays to repair or rebuild your home if it is damaged or destroyed by a disaster listed in your policy. Most standard policies also cover structures that are detached from your home such as a garage, tool shed, or gazebo. Generally, these structures are covered for about 10% of the amount of insurance you have on the structure of your home. See respective policy for restrictions.

Coverage for your personal belongings
Your furniture, clothes, sports equipment, and other personal items are covered if they are stolen or destroyed by an insured disaster. Most companies provide coverage for 50% to 70% of the amount of insurance you have on the structure of your home. This part of your policy includes off-premises coverage. This means that your belongings are covered anywhere in the world, unless you have decided against off-premises coverage. Expensive items like jewelry, firearms, stamp and coin collections, furs, and silverware are covered, but there are usually significant dollar limitations for theft or other type of losses. You may purchase higher limits or specifically insure items or on all-risk basis. Trees, plants and shrubs are also covered under standard homeowners insurance. Generally you are covered for 5% of the insurance on the house — up to about $500 per item, depending on the coverage purchased and the insurance company. See respective policy for restrictions.

Liability protection
This covers you against lawsuits for bodily injury or property damage that you or family members cause to other people. It also pays for damage caused by your pets. The liability portion of your policy pays for both the cost of defending you in court and any court awards — up to the limit of your policy. You are also covered not just in your home, but for losses anywhere in the world. Your policy also provides no-fault medical coverage. In the event a friend or neighbor is injured in your home, he or she can simply submit medical bills to your insurance company. This way, expenses are paid without the need to file a liability claim against you. See respective policy for restrictions.

Additional living expenses
This pays the additional costs of living away from home if you can't live there due to damage from an insured disaster. If you rent out part of your house, this coverage also reimburses you for the rent that you would have collected from your tenant if your home had not been destroyed. See respective policy for restrictions.
  • Floods
  • Earthquakes
  • Maintenance damage

Your personal homeowners or renters insurance coverage may vary based on your needs and state regulations. For information on your personal options, call one of our insurance counselors.

You can apply for homeowners or renters insurance through this program if you are an active employee of Duke. The property to be insured must be in the United States.
If you are accepted for coverage, your insurance can start the day after you apply for coverage over the phone. It can also begin at a later date you specify. You will receive your insurance policy in the mail.
You can apply for homeowners or renters insurance through this program if you are an active employee of Duke scheduled to work at least 20 hours per week. The property to be insured must be in the United States.
Duke and Mercer Voluntary Benefits partner only with the most dependable, respected insurance companies in America: Travelers and MetLife Auto & Home®.  Note: Not all companies are available in all states.

The insurance provided through the Home Insurance Benefit Program is available as part of your Duke benefits program. For this reason, there are several advantages to homeowners and renters insurance through PersonalPlans:

  • Special program rates that are often lower than individual rates.*
  • Convenient payroll deduction of your premiums.
  • Special discounts including a payroll deduction, multi-policy and tenure discount.**

You can also get insurance for:

  • Auto
  • Motorcycles
  • Recreational vehicles
  • Campers
  • Travel trailers
  • All-terrain vehicles
  • Personal excess liability (“Umbrella”)
  • Personal articles
  • Personal property
  • Boat
  • Landlord’s rental dwelling

Overall, this program offers high-quality insurance at lower rates to most people. Because homeowners and renters insurance is based on several factors including the state you live in, the type of construction of your home, and many other factors, this insurance may not give you the lowest premium, but don't you owe it to yourself and your hard-earned money to find out?

We're here to help! Please contact us in whatever manner is most convenient for you.

Program Administrator

Mercer Voluntary Benefits
12421 Meredith Drive
Urbandale, IA 50398
Phone: 1-800-552-9670
Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EST/EDT, M-F
Email: customer.service@mercer.com

Call now for Quotes

Call now to get quotes and apply.

Our Role and Compensation

Details of Mercer disclosure of the compensation.

Read More